Thursday, July 8, 2010

Resolving conflicts

Mama So bought some fake food products like those seen at Japanese restaurants as toys for my children, and didi is particularly fond of the pau recently. In the car, Xuan took his pau and he was crying/whining for "Bao, bao~~". Mama So chose to ignore and observe how pretty the clouds are.

After a while, Xuan said to him, “弟弟说‘请给我包’就我给你。”(She always put “就”in front of the sentence. Recently she uses “原来”for “应该”,e.g. “这个原来是妈妈蜗牛吧。”) Of course didi couldn't say that, so she repeated it while looking at him intently, waiting for him to say something. Didi said, "Arh". I found it so funny that I have to intervene, "弟弟说please", and he said, "Arh". I told xuan, "弟弟的"ah"就是"please"啦" and she gave up her toy willingly.

I am sooooooooooooooo proud of my little girl for being able to resolve conflict on her own initiative (mimicing how I resolve conflicts between them previously). She used to cry/whine and compete to see who is louder. Papa So and I have mastered the art of "one ear in, one ear out" so she knows I am just going to ignore or get angry if they cry. I seldom hear "You see didi did this-and-that" considering how many times conflicts arise at home.

Training didi to deliver fruits to xuan whenever I cut fruits for them helps. He offers biscuits to people without people asking. Explaining and delivering my promise helps. Xuan used to fight to watch the dvd that she wants, but I say, the one that didi wants to watch is shorter. When he goes to sleep you can watch the longer one. So now when she wants to watch tv, she offers to let didi watch first without demanding her way sometimes.

No comments: